Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Inquiry Plan Week 2

After reviewing our last time together, I gave my student a basic math sheet of addition, multiplication, division, and subtraction. The first comment he made "I don't know a lot of these." After completing the worksheet without a calculator, he was surprised at the amount of problems he could answer on his own. His mistakes included multiplying with 0 (2 x 0 = 0), and problems with multiples of larger numbers such as 8 or 9 (3 x 9 = 27). He didn't attempt those problems.

I reviewed PEMDAS and took it slow, step-by-step. His confusion is "what you do to one side of the equation you do to the other." It will come in time and with practice. With each problem I ask him to tell me at what point he has questions and we discuss.

He finished the worksheets and rated himself higher than the first sheet. Most of his ranges are now in the 5-6 range verses 0-2 of last session.

Using the interventions and teacher made tests as review before each session seems to help reinforce what he is learning and continues to allow me to assess his problem areas. If I had not taken the time to find his weakness in Mathematics, he would still be struggling in this area. I believe taking the time to allow him to understand the concepts before moving to the next is very helpful to him and gives him more confidence in Mathematics.

3 comments:

  1. You know it is often hard to take this kind of time with all of our students but we learn so much from them when we do. I am glad that this assignment has allowed you to take this time to work with this student in such detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like that you have a great start Viv!!! I am sure this student is appreciating having some one on one time to work with you and learn. GREAT JOB VIV!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like the student has high confidence to himself. He rated himself higher than he actual did. I think that is a good thing. I admire that you take very slow steps to help the student.

    ReplyDelete