Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week 1 Inquiry Plan

Assessments

I reviewed what areas of Mathematics my student struggles with by assessing Scantron scores.
According to his GLE score (grade level equivalent), my student is functioning at a 7.4 grade level.


When asked, my student completed A Math Goals Self-Assessment sheet. This sheet consisted of 14 operations in which he rated himself as: Can do now, Can do some now but need practice, Want to learn, Want to learn later, and not important to me. My student's responses were mostly in the Can do now list or the Can do some now but need practice. What he was concerned most with are: Subtraction of Whole Numbers, Multiplication with many digits, Division with big divisors, and Fraction division. Through interview process, I learned he also struggles with simple Algebraic Expressions and Order of Operations.

I gave my student a pre-test of Basic Math Operations ranging from addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Also I included Order of Operations, multiplication and division of fractions, and simple decimals.

Observation / Journal

Through my observation of his pre-test, my student seemed to struggle with problems that he didn't know how to begin. For example, when he began Algebraic Equations, he hesitated, rolled his pencil in his hands, and bit his lip. He would skip the problem and move to the next, but showed signs of frustration. My student was confident on the problems he knew, but when it came to something he wasn't sure of, he didn't ask for help but wanted to quit the test.
After a quick answer check, I began to review with my student. I started with Order of Operations. I explained PEMDAS and worked a few problems to illustrate my instruction.

Assessment
At the end of our session, I asked my student to complete a Self-Assessment Problem Solving sheet. The scores on this assessment ranged from 0 - 10; I don't understand the problem - I can explain this problem; this was a difficult problem - this was an easy problem; I don't know where to start - I can solve the problem and explain my solution. He scored himself between 0-2 on each question.

Interventions
I designed several teacher-made tests (formative) to help build his confidence and re-teach the Mathematics concept (intervention) to be given to my student when I see him Tuesday. I also printed off a list of operations, definitions, and examples for him to use as a guide while completes his worksheets.




3 comments:

  1. This sounds very thorough. What did you think about it? Did you feel like this gave you useful information? How is this different from what you might have done otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you give the students a chance to self assess. That is something i do verbally but do not do on paper. I think it is an awesome thing to do with your students and make them more aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have such a great start on this! I like how you were able to pick up on the students signs that he was frustrated. This is something that you do as a teacher that helps a student and I think it's awesome that you noticed it and found it worthy enough to mention. Great job Vivian!

    ReplyDelete