Thursday, November 19, 2009

Inquiry Plan Week 3

Inquiry Plan Week 3

My student is making progress in both basic math operations and solving simple algebraic equations using PEMDAS. At first, my student would look at the problem and say “can’t do it.” Now he actually takes the pencil and begins to work. He still struggles in some areas when working the equation (what you do to one side-you do to the other) and isolating the letter (x, a, b, whatever). But, he is now beginning to look at the problems and eliminate steps because he does it in his head. For, example he will see 6 + 2x = 4 and say “Ok, I move the 6 to the side with the 4 and it becomes a -6, so 2x = 4-6.” Big step for my student because he didn’t believe when I assured him he would reach this point in our interventions.

Building his confidence is icing on the cake. He now tries to help others and is willing to try problems rather than push the paper away and refuse. Progress.

My video is complete and hopefully I will post it also today. Looking forward to your comments. My student didn't want his face to be seen when filming this video so he is facing me but you can hear his comments.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Awesome job Vivian!!!! The fact that you have a student who was not willing at all to work previously, and is now making an effort is a huge step in the right direction. That is amazing progress for a student that had such low confidence at the beginning of this project. Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great - I am glad it has been going so well. Do you think you can sustain this after the inquiry is over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building confidence in students is so important. Everyone wants to get praise. The students do from us, we as teachers do from our collegues or administrators. It gives people more power to work more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome that you have moved one of your students from not wanting to even try to starting the work on his own. GREAT JOB! I can't wait to see your video!

    ReplyDelete